Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - 5/7/13

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan,  Billy Dunleavy and friends each week as they review new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!


'68 Jungle Jim #2 (Image)

Decapitated Dan: Oh man I LOVE THIS SERIES! I can not get over how awesome the concept is, and if you don't know what I mean by that please go listen to my interview with writer Mark Kidwell on Episode #2 of Monsters &Metal. I will say that this issue was a lot more build into explaining the main cast, but when I got to that tiger scene I was ready to throw some punches to. Zornow's art is GORE-Geous on every panel. Plain and simple read '68, this series, the previous 2, the one shots, who cares which ones... READ '68! - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5


Apocalypse Man #1 (Sun Bros Studios)
Decapitated Dan: Ok #1, this has to be the greatest cover of the year! I'm a sucker for an awesome alligator cover and this book delivered that. I think the best way to sum up this issue is, what a twist. I did not see that coming, and had to read it twice to make sure there was no way to see it coming. Great writing on this book. The concept is great too. What are the eggs damn it?! What are they! I need to know more, I really do, and I need to know soon. The GORE-Geous artwork, which you can easily fall in love with just based on the cover, is perfect throughout the issue. This book is a perfect combination of two talented creators, it just so happens they are brothers. If this is a one shot then I am really happy how it all played out. If this is a mini series or ongoing though, I'm gonna need more really fast. Fantastic stuff, you need to check this book out. Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5

Colonized #2 (IDW) 

Decapitated Dan: This book puts me in a very tough spot. One the one hand I love the concept and artwork. One the other hand the story just seems to have holes in it, and way too much is going on way to fast. After reading this issue twice, I'm not saying I won't read anymore of it, I just think it could be simplified a little. How is it Aliens land on earth, and no one is really that terrified? They are all more worried about the zombies. I do love a zombie sheep though, that was awesome along with the cows. Overall it's not a bad read, but I just think it's too much going on at the moment. - Dying Breath 3.0 out of 5



FRIGHTFEAST #2 (FRIGHTFEAST Comix)

Decapitated Dan: Have you ever listened to a really bad ass Death Metal song, music that has a killer sound but vocals that you probably can't understand, but just don't care because it's awesome?

 That kid of sums up Fright Feast #2. This book is bad ass balls all over the walls gore-filled horror fun. The artwork is beyond amazing, and I think that the artist needs to start doing every single Death Metal CD cover from now until the end of time. Yeah, the visuals are not for the faint of heart, but I think anyone who enjoys gore horror movies would really dig this book. To lend a hand those movie lovers out there, the story reads like a fantastic B-Movie. I didn't think that the opening scene really fit into the overall story, but everything else was fang-tastic. If you love underground comics and/or gorey horror films you need to check this book out. Always an awesome job by Creator Mark K. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5




Haunted Horror #4 (IDW)
Billy Dunleavy: To say that series is great would be an understatement. IDW has brought these age old stories back from the dead, and done a fantastic job with that indeed. You get a whopping seven stories in this issue, and each one had a unique take on something terrifying. The story about the possessed puppet was the one that stood out. It was creepy and the artwork was equally as macabre. Another tale, that involved locusts and harpies, and then one about a man-eating plant, were also very solid. Again, overall the entire book was gold but those stories definitely were head and shoulders above the rest. - Rating 5 out of 5


Decapitated Dan: I've said it before, and I will say it again. I think that Yoe, Gussoni and our very own Steve Banes, do an amazing job choosing stories that all work very well together. As odd as it sounds to call old reprints fresh, this book really is a breath of fresh "old" air. The amount of story you used to get for cover price is amazing compared to today's standards, and this comic will show you why. My favorite story was probably the final story "Terror on the TV". It might look like a simple concept today, but place yourself in 1954 and think about it, yeah, you crapped your pants. I love this title, I love what it is bringing to the comic public, and all I can say is read it, you will be glad you did. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5


Justice League Dark #19 (DC)
Billy Dunleavy: I’ve only read a few issues of this series, but when I have, it’s been amazing. The creative team (Lemire, Fawkes, Janin, & Cifuentes) do a fantastic job with the story and visuals. Constantine is attacked, and this causes him to lose his connection with the House of Mystery. He calls on his team (Frankenstein, Madame Xanadu, Deadman) to help, but first they must find the house. To do that, they must coax an unwilling Swamp Thing into helping them! An appearance by the Flash, and then a big reveal of the villain at the end make this book a winner!– Rating 4 out of 5


Ten Grand #1 (Image)

Decapitated Dan: Ok, I don't love detective books, I really don't. However the concept of this one is great. There was a perfect mix of build and mystery that I can not wait for issue #2 to come out. I've always been a fan of JMS's comic work, and I think this one is bordering on being the next big thing from Image. Lastly those visuals by Templesmith, just melted my eyes right out of the socket. Awesome start! - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5


The Eighth Seal #1 (Comixology)  
Decapitated Dan: 
I don't know what to say other then, WOW! That scene where she was reading the book just blew me away. The best way to view that scene is to just tap like crazy on your reading device, because it is so animated. MAN I LOVED THAT!!!! I am really loving this concept and the  fantastic execution of everything so far. A perfect horror read that I can not wait to read more of! I need more now!!! - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5